Though stock has taken a plunge , I am still very bullish on $TWTR. Here is my sentimental logic
- Twitter is actually very big. Lot bigger than FB. That may surprise you. Here is the reason. A network should NOT be measured by number of users or number of eyeballs on a specific ad. The true measure of network is the number of meaningful connections. Number of meaningful connections determine “How quickly can information move from one place to another”. #Facebook tries to achieve information dissemination thru intelligent maneuvering of your newsfeed. But this is temporary in nature cuz people understand the tinkering pretty quickly. Twitter doesn’t have to do it cuz people automatically choose what they want to follow.
- The model “Leader to Follower” has unlimited growth potential. If a leader has a million followers that means a million connections. On the other hand ; Facebook’s “Friend to Friend” model is very limiting. Twitter, by design, is a place where a leader wants to grow his network. Facebook on the other hand is a place where privacy is the key. Facebook has tried to change its DNA in recent years and there are people with million followers on FB but thats like “a right person in a wrong place”.
- Twitter has no privacy concerns cuz everything is open by design. All other networks have privacy issues. As the social media becomes main stream , the privacy issues are going to exponentially increase.
- Youth is finally moving to Twitter. I can see this in my teenage kids and their friend circles. FB is there but Twitter is cool. Something to do with brand. It feels like Facebook is in a hurry to get old whereas Twitter is still stuck in its boyhood.
- Leaders identify themselves with their Twitter handle. A true transfer of public ID from email to Twitter handle. Have you ever seen someone giving you his phone number or email address anymore on TV ?
- Facebook has recently launched “FB for Work”. This is a sure way to make some short term money (and further please bean counters) but once you identify a brand with Work, its going Staples route. Work is Dell, Mac is life.. As a consumer brand, last thing you want to do is identify yourself as a workplace tool.
Originally published on Medium by me